In a historic building dating back to the med- 19th century, built by the Salamander Fire Insurance Company, the 5 star Savoy Hotel first opened as a luxury hotel in 1913 and became a symbol of Moscow hospitality and has since hosted world famous celebrities in its sumptuous rooms.
With its ideal location in the heart of Moscow the Savoy is within walking distance of major attractions such as the Kremlin, Red Square, the Bolshoy and Maly theatres, fashionable boutiques and cafes. After a full renovation in 2005 guests can enjoy the glory and mystique of an old Russian mansion outfitted with all the modern comforts of an upscale boutique hotel.
In the middle of the XIXth century the Alpenrose German restaurant was opened on No.4, Pushechnaya Street. Initially the place was frequented by members of the German Club as well as by the German community in Moscow. Later Vladimir Gilyarovsky, a Russian writer and a brilliant connoisseur of Moscow history described the AlpenRose as one of the most famous places in the city. Actors from the Bolshoi and Maly Theatres used to go there after performances to attend a private artists' club. Important journalists and editors, doctors and lawyers, professors and public people - all visited the legendary restaurant. The AlpenRose Restaurant had changed several owners before being purchased by The Salamander Fire Insurance Company in 1909. Established in 1846, The Salamander was the third biggest insurance company in Russia at that time. Its motto "On Fire and Still not Burned Out" and the salamander symbol decorated many buildings in Moscow.
The Salamander planned to open a new hotel with a café on the first floor in its newly acquired property and decided to name the hotel Savoy (probably, referring to the Savoy Alps). Renovation of the building started in 1911 and was supervised by the architect Victor Velichkin. The Savoy Restaurant was sumptuously decorated featuring a rococo interior with the ceiling sported remarkably with irregularly shaped mirrors and paintings. In March 1913 the Savoy Hotel was officially opened with a grand banquet to celebrate the event.
The Savoy restaurant, initially called Savoy French café, was opened eight months later.
After the revolution of 1917, Savoy came under the control of the Moscow Council hotel administration. By 1930 along with the Metropol and the National, it was incorporated into the Hotel All-Union Company, established to provide services for foreigners. From 1958 to its reconstruction in 1989, Savoy was known as the Berlin Hotel. Then it got back its historical interiors and the original name.
The Savoy hotel is a proper place for travelers who put at a high value service and comfort. Savoy welcomed world famous celebrities such as Luciano Pavarotti, Jouse Carreras, Patricia Kaas, Richard Gere, Julia Ormond, Dave Brubeck and many others.
Hotel Savoy is a boutique hotel in the very heart of Moscow, offering the best luxury accommodation and amenities. It is located within a walking distance from the major tourist attractions, the Kremlin, Red Square, the Bolshoi and Maly Theaters. After it’s renovation in 2005 the Savoy hotel meets the highest requirements of the hospitality industry. Now it is one of the first designer hotels where the ambience of the old Moscow mansion goes well with all present-day services and comfort.